When you have a choice, you might want to consider buying a home with a detached garage or building a detached epoxy garage floor reno instead of one attached to your home. Here are six reasons why.
- The façade of your home can be your home instead of being dominated by a big garage door. While there are new designs that are very attractive, a garage door is a garage door and it’s big. Unless you can tuck it away to the side of the home, it’s going to be one of the most noticeable parts of your curb appeal – or lack of curb appeal.
- You can put it where you want it! A detached garage can be built wherever you want it on your property. You can build it on an angle or set it back from your home. You can build it out back if you have access from the rear of your property. You make the choice.
- You can use the space next to your home the way you want. There may be something you would enjoy more than a garage. You could create a beautiful garden or patio. If you need more space, you can add another room to your home. A garage may not be the best use of the land next to your home.
- It’s easier to add living space above the garage. If you need a separate space for a family member or to use as a guest suite, it is easier to incorporate it into the build than if you have to worry about how to add a second story to a garage next to your home. It may also be easier to add some multi-purpose space like a workshop or a storage area.
- It’s all about proportion. If you live in a small home, adding a double garage and that big door may overwhelm your home and take away from its appeal.
- It’s not attached! You don’t have to worry about the heat that’s trapped in the garage bleeding into your home. You don’t have to be concerned that it may offer a thief entry into your home. You don’t have to figure out how to create a driveway for your car to get in the garage – which can be tricky when you have to get around existing plantings, trees or utility hookups.
Whether you’re buying or building a garage make sure that the garage door is safe and properly installed. Garage door springs and cables are under high tension. If you are buying, put safety first and have the garage inspected by a licensed garage door company to make sure the door is safe and the auto-reverse is working correctly. If you’re building, count on a professional for garage door installation.